Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Germany-aww...but for only a weekend.




On a whim (as I find life most exciting) I decided to book a trip to Frankfurt, Germany for the weekend. I booked the ticket on the 4th and flew out on the 10th. Why Frankfurt? Absolutely no idea. Just wanted to get away and I literally just thought of a random place to go in Europe and went...for three nights.

This trip was beyond incredibe in the sense that it solidified more about who I really am. I have never been the one to be settled down with the white picket fence and 2.2 kids. I am a restless heart. Yes, that can potentially be a problem but the dating scene will not be addressed here. It reminded me how important it is for me to embrace what my heart really is. It is spontaneous, passionate, random, adventurous, zealous, and full of a slight side of wreckless abandonment. And that is what I genuinely love about who God has made me to be. No one can predict where I will be tomorrow or next year, only God knows my true details and my life story.


Here are just a few of my experiences in such a short time frame.

Plane rides: Naturally, I wanted to sleep on the way there/back because it was going to be a short trip (three nights). However, on the way there I was next to a veterinarian opthamologist (asked me out to dinner in Paris but that is a different story) and on the way home I was next to some guy with PhD from MIT in engineering. Needless to say, neither plane flight (14 hours each way) involved much sleep. Certainly did learn a lot though...

The language: Do not attempt to speak German if you have never tried. I repeat, don't attempt. It is near impossible. I gave up after only a few "hallo" and "danke." Luckily for us undereducated Americans, they all speak English.

Hotels: Two things- expensive and smaller beds. That is all you need to know.

Castles: So I took a train ride to a town called Heidelberg that has the Schloss castle (circa 1500s). Missed a few stops, met a weird German man on the train that didn't stop talking to me (only slightly endearing), and finally made it to my always final destination, a castle. Met a man their named Peter. Turns out he was the hired driver for a automotibile industry CEO and his wife, Joe and Joan. They adopt me for the day, take me out to lunch, and take me back to Frankfurt in Peter's brand new 08' Mercedes S Class going 160 mph on the Autobohn (yes, that is correct 160 mph or 260 km/hour). Awesome. I love being adopted in foreign countries.

Porsche: So the second evening I meet up with someone from a travel network I belong to, asmallworld.net. He says he will pick me up and he has a silver sports car. Needless to say, it is the new 08' Porsche 911/Turbo. Nice. Great trip for great cars. He is only 27...he also has a Ferrari, an Aston Martin, and one other. He says why not own fast cars when there is not speed limit. Good point-it makes them completely useless in America. His name was Faustsus (if that has any relevance).

Shopping: Two things once again- INCREDIBLE shopping and our dollar sucks right now. Oh, and tax in Frankfurt is 18% which was ALMOST enough to stop me from buying a beautiful suit. Didn't work as I am now the proud owner of an undescribably beautiful piece of attire.

Taxis: They are all Mercedes, mostly new E-classes. Note that I could move here in an instant.

Final night: Meet up with another individual by the name of Julian (guy, not girl). Takes me to an incredible French restaurant at which I have my favorite as always, filet mignon. Incredibly great conversation and what are the chances that he happens to know the only other Germans that I know??? I had these clients in Aspen when I worked at Ralph and it turns out he grew up hunting and golfing with their families. Crazy!

The flu: Wow. I have not had the flu since I was 11 and what are the chances it would come into effect on the weekend I was in Germany??? With a fever around 103, cold sweats, and incredibly severe body aches, it introduced itself to me on Sunday night. Just try to imagine what flying with a severe flu for forteen hours is like...

Here are some pictures from the venture to attempt to put my thousands of words in pictures.

Now I am off to figure out how to get two criminal convictions off of my social security number (does anyone even know how that is possible???). Kind of makes getting a job difficult if someone else is trying to take your identity.

Auf wiedersehen, Anna

In front of the Roemberg-most of the buildings are rebuilt to look like the old ones since America and Britain bombed everything here in the 40s

The Great Cathedral in Frankfurt

Schloss Castle-incredible history here.

Don't you love traveling solo?!? For some reason people thought it odd I was only there for the weekend...

My adopted family, Joe and Joan

Porsche friend, Faustsus

Center Square of Schloss Castle in Heidelberg

The old opera house-side view

Mr. Julian-My German date for an evening

The Haphbahnhof- a beautiful train station

The Old Opera House

2 comments:

tami said...

Hey Anna!
Your trip to Germany looks like it was so much fun! I wanted to say hi, and I think last minute trips are great!
Tami

The Barrow's said...

Oh, my gosh Anna I saw this and thought that it was such a perfect thing for you. I don't know how you do all of the amazing things you do, but I am so glad that you are having fun. Looks like a blast. Will we get to see you for Sarah's bachelorette weekend. I sure hope so, and hear about your amazing trip in person he hee.

On anther note. Criminal charges on your SS# that is crazy. What are you going to do? talk to you soon. Love ya