Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What can break my heart:

I am a rather transparent person: not very private, will tell you nearly all that you ask to hear, and I usually wear my heart on my sleeve. By God’s good grace, my transparent personality is also coupled with what I believe to be excellent intuition. Quite a combination!

I have never personally had my heart broken and I also really don’t care to feel what that is like…although I do love it when people say that you must go through it so you know what love really is. I am pretty sure I can feel love without having it wrenched out of my heart, thank you! It’s kind of like somebody telling you that you have to break your leg in order to actually know its full function. I don’t think so…

Here is my real heart break: one of my dearest friends called me the other night and stated that she had been dating someone for nearly two months. He was “alright,” “not exactly my type,” and “someone to hang out with.” Definitely my top three traits for a perfect forever! The saddest part was what she mentioned after that: “Well it is better to be with him then to not have anything.” She noticed my silence and awaited what she knew my response would be…”it is much better to be alone then to be with someone who takes away any part of you, especially your standards.” Statistically this is a rather typical “Anna” response.

Since when did we start thinking that without someone else we are nothing? Don’t sell your soul (refer to the Harlot piece for more on our personal price) and your standards just to have companionship. I have spent 27 years refining and trying to figure out who I am and I will be the last person to put my personal finishing school on hold for someone who is just “alright.” I personally believe, and could prove it to be true, that standards are of the utmost. Theoretically speaking, in order for anything to improve (government, the economy, foreign relations, etc.) statutes of higher order are necessary. This meaning that principles must first be created and then followed in order for any element of that entity to improve.

This goes for us as well! In order for society to have emancipation from divorce, heart-break, single-parent homes, abortions, etc. we must raise who we are as individuals. It is not enough to be part of the normal crowd because greatness rarely arises from the masses. We must be willing to spend a few extra days alone in order to 1) learn who we really are, 2) make sure our standards are real and not just a façade, and 3) to learn what God really sees as great for our lives. This patience is what creates in us the confidence to trust our intuition as well as gives us the ability to say no to anything sub-par.

Don’t you feel honored when you are chosen by someone who has high standards? It’s pretty much the same thing as getting a letter saying that you are the best, the ultimate, the elected, the one. Personally, I would rather wait to have “earth-shattering, spell-binding, unexplained love” versus having a right now full of “alright, good for now, not exactly my type.”

I pray that God grants each of you the patience to wait for something incredible. If you have already found it, I tip my hat to you. Oh, and congratulations on being chosen.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh Anna! This was so great...I am 100% agreement with everything you just said. And it was so perfectly said! It saddens me when I see people settling. I am so proud of you that you have not done that and that you are waiting for that once in a lifetime love...waiting for someone to choose you! I am a living testimony that it really does happen! Thank you for speaking up and encouraging others to hold out for all that God has for them! You are such a beautiful person and I can't wait to see who God has chosen for you...He is going to be one lucky guy!

So glad to have found your blog! I love reading it!

Beth said...

soooo great to hear from you!! what an amazing person you are...i loved reading through your blog:) we are so close....maybe we could get together sometime. life is pretty crazy, but i would LOVE to see you!

The Barrow's said...

Anna I love to read your blog. It is so true. NO one should ever settle, because when you truly find the right person there is nothing else in the world like it. I can't wait to see you this weekend. Talk to you soon. P.S I love the picture on your my space page. He hee That was a fun weekend! Love ya

Heather said...

ANNA! I love and agree wholeheartedly with every post on this blog! I pray every day that my daughters will grow to view this life as an adventure a gift from our Lord! I want them to dream big and without limits, because with our God ALL things are possible!

By the way, a spontaneous weekend in Germany?? How FABULOUS is that!? I dont think that is odd at all, honestly if I had the means my little family and I would be jaunting off to Europe every other weekend too!!
I would like to post your link to my blog if you dont mind :)